Cleaning Invisalign® Homecare Instructions
When properly cared for, your Invisalign® aligners will remain clear and odor-free. Failure to clean your aligners will lead to plaque buildup, discoloration and foul odors. If you’re curious about how to clean Invisalign® retainers to keep them invisibly fresh, follow these instructions.
Invisalign® Cleaning Tips
The best way to clean Invisalign® aligners is to actually follow a thorough cleaning regiment that tackles plaque and bacteria on multiple levels:
- Frequent rinsing: Get into the habit of rinsing your aligners every time you take them out. A quick swish under lukewarm water can help limit the buildup of plaque and bacteria.
- Daily brushing: Brush your aligners at the same time that you brush your teeth. But do not use the same cleaning solution or toothbrush that you use on your own teeth. Most regular toothpastes are abrasive and may scratch your aligners. Be sure to use the softest toothbrush you can find—baby toothbrushes work well—and use gentle pressure during the brushing process.
- Deep cleaning: Soak your aligners daily using either the Invisalign® Cleaning System or a gentle denture solution. If you use denture cleaners and notice your Invisalign® aligners starting to turn a little yellow, discontinue use and contact your dentist or orthodontist. Remember to always use lukewarm to tepid water—hot water has the potential to change the shape of your aligners.
Get Your Invisalign® Cleaning Crystals at Now Care Dental
If you have noticed that denture cleaning solutions are not working well for your Invisalign® retainers, or if you want to start off cleaning your aligners with a professional-grade product, we encourage you to get the Invisalign® Cleaning System from our office. The system includes individual packets of cleaning crystals formulated specially for cleaning Invisalign® aligners.
To use the Invisalign® crystals, all you need to do is dissolve an individual packet of crystals into a small cup of water. The crystals will work to dissolve plaque and kill bacteria.
We give the Invisalign® cleaning crystals to our patients of record as part of their overarching Invisalign® treatment. If you started your Invisalign® treatment elsewhere, we are happy to sell the Invisalign® crystals to you. They are available for purchase at our Eagan, MN office for $35.00 (50 packets).
Preventive Tips to Keep Your Invisalign® Retainers Clean
There are additional steps you can take to have clean Invisalign® retainers at all times:
- Practice proper dental hygiene. Brush at least twice a day and floss daily. And always put your Invisalign® aligners back in your mouth only after you have brushed and flossed. Your aligners will stay cleaner if they are placed on clean teeth.
- Remove your aligners when eating and drinking. Most beverages and many foods have incredible staining power. Your best bet is to remove your aligners any time you are doing anything more than drinking water.
- Wash your aligners with antibacterial soap. Invisalign® retainers can attract bacteria, which is often what causes your aligners to smell foul. Use clear antibacterial soap on occasion to help fight against bacteria buildup. Make sure to stick with clear soap—colored soap can cause your retainers to lose their "invisibility" feature.
Have Questions About Cleaning Your Invisalign® Retainers? Call Us!
If you still have questions or concerns about how to clean your Invisalign® aligners after reading these tips and tricks, please call (651) 686-6800 or contact us online. We have 24/7 answering services and run extended clinic hours from 10am to 8pm, 7-days a week.